One key thing you will need while performing search engine optimization for your web pages (on your ecommerce website or any website in general), is to find which page of google search results does your website link appear.
A simple method for this of course is
- Search the keyword (that you have optimized your eCommerce website for) in Google manually
- Look through the search results to find its placement.
While this can work for 1 or 2 keywords, the method becomes cumbersome very quickly. Usually any eCommerce website has more than 10 products and you would be trying to optimize by the product name or the brand name. This means you would have atleast 30-50 keywords to look up for positions.
The best way to do this is to enable Google webmaster tools for your eCommerce website (which needs to be done anyways for loads of other reasons). Once you have enabled Google webmaster tools
- Select your eCommerce website in the list
- Goto the section Traffic > Search Queries
- Here you will see a list of all keywords that have generated clicks to your eCommerce website along with their average positions